EXCEL Academy Previews the Progress at 6700 Bock Road (June 15, 2023)
Current and future staff members of EXCEL Academy, Board members, and our partners at SEED, Inc., were invited to do a walk-through of the new facility at 670o Bock Road.
Click the image below for the full video.
SEED/EXCEL Announces Its New Facility Acquisition (January 30, 2022)
At the SEED/EXCEL Board meeting on Thursday, January 20, 2022, our Charter President, Lisa Butler McDougal, announced that EXCEL Academy will be moving to a new location. After an exhaustive search looking at over 10 different properties across Prince George’s County, the Operator has signed an agreement for a property in Fort Washington. The address is 6700 Bock Road, Ft. Washington, MD, 20744. The tentative move-in date would be for the 2023-2024 school year. We have asked for and are awaiting permission to stay at 7910 Scott Road for an additional year.
Please note that the decision to make this move was not easy. Unfortunately, the property options that were in the central part of the County were not economically or logistically feasible for us. Please note that there will be multiple studies and opportunities for parent input as we look at possible transportation options, design implications, etc. We also understand there are many questions about this transition. A document with FAQs has been formulated to provide questions that arose during the meeting as well as give clarity on other common questions that might arise (see below.) The school community will receive updates in a special Facilities Update section of the Eagles’ Nest when it is published biweekly.
We are excited about this upcoming chapter in our school’s history and are looking forward to collaborating with all our stakeholders as we move forward. Let’s continue to EXCEL Together!
EXCEL Academy Facility FAQs
Why is EXCEL Academy moving? – EXCEL Academy originally leased the current facility for a one-year term. However, leadership changes and the economic climate presented less than optimal circumstances for a move, so our stay was prolonged. Now that we have stable and exceptional leadership in the person of Principal Sothern, and given that EXCEL Academy was not included in PGCPS’s capital budget, we are now poised to acquire a new facility.
When is EXCEL Academy moving? EXCEL Academy will move to its new facility in the 2023-24 school year.
- Where will EXCEL Academy be next school year (2022-23)? EXCEL Academy has requested to remain at its current location for the upcoming school year. If that is not possible, we have identified numerous sites for a one-year lease.
- Where is EXCEL Academy moving? EXCEL Academy is moving to 6700 Bock Road, Fort Washington, MD, the site of the former National Christian Academy.
- How will traffic be addressed? We have procured the services of HighMark Development and Grimm and Parker Associates, who both have extensive experience in school design and construction, including in Prince George’s County. The school design will provide for an efficient traffic flow for the drop-off and pick-up of scholars to minimize traffic congestion.
- Will transportation be provided? We are open to exploring transportation if enough parents are interested.
- What will happen with staff? Will we retain the same teachers? The principal is in communication with the staff to determine what the transition will look like for each individual and whether or not they will be moving with us. We will know more as we get closer to the date.
- What is the timeline for moving to the new facility? In consultation with the development company and the architectural firm, it has been determined that the facility will be ready for operation beginning with the 2023-24 school year. This timeline takes into account considerable supply chain delays and renovation.
- Will EXCEL Academy extend to high school as a way to attract and retain students? While it is not in the immediate future of the school, this is a matter for consideration that needs to be taken up with EXCEL Academy’s Founder, Pastor Denise Johnson, and the governing board. Additionally, such an expansion requires the approval of the Board of Education.